Following the resounding global success of the irons that catapulted the model to among the best-selling in company history, TaylorMade Golf, an industry leader in product innovation, technology and performance, announced today the second generation of the P·790 irons. Like its P700 series siblings, the P·790 irons are a meticulously crafted set combining performance, feel and aesthetics. By way of its forged face and soft, hollow body construction with SpeedFoam™ and the debut of the Thru-Slot Speed Pocket, speed and forgiveness were the key performance attributes that helped the first-generation P·790 rise to the upper heights of the players distance category.
To improve on an iron as successful as the original P·790, engineers faced the challenge of taking everything learned from its design, refining and emphasising many of the unique design elements that made it so successful without drastically changing its DNA. The result is a forged iron that continues to deliver remarkable distance and playability combined with exceptional feel in a medium-compact head design with a refined topline, more compact blade length and reduced offset preferred by discerning players.
The original P·790 was – and still is – widely considered one of the highest-performing irons in the industry. The all-new 2019 P·790 features a 7% thinner face designed to produce a faster COR and for the first time includes Progressive Inverted Cone Technology (PICT) designed to improved accuracy throughout the set, minimising the right tendency often found in the long irons. The thinner face also maintains sound and feel but enhances feedback regardless of where the ball is struck on the face.
Behind the face of the new P·790 is one of TaylorMade’s most advanced technologies to date: SpeedFoam, a proprietary construction which serves a dual purpose of generating ball speed as well as the management of sound and feel. Injected into the clubhead, SpeedFoam provides the face support and damping properties that make the performance of the P·790 unlike any other iron in the TaylorMade family. Inside the P·790, a larger mass of tungsten – 15% more than first generation P·790 – has been reshaped to deliver a deeper centre of gravity. This was accomplished through the mass savings in the thinner face as well as by removing mass in the iron frame (high toe area) and repositioning it by way of the larger, low profile tungsten design. The new tungsten design helps to lower the CG and increase the launch angle of the new 2019 model.
The product creation team implemented some refined shaping changes to the new generation P·790 in the continued pursuit of the perfect players distance iron shape. Working from the ground up, the designers tweaked the sole radius for less propensity to dig. The long irons (6-3i) have progressively less offset and the blade length was shaved down slightly in the scoring irons (7-AW) for more compact players iron proportions. Finally, the topline shaping was refined by increasing the face height in the toe for a cleaner progression through the set. The result is a visually appealing shape proportion preferred by better players without being visually intimidating for those who appreciate the forgiving nature of the P·790 design.
- New low profile tungsten weight designed for a lower CG and higher launch.
- Speedfoam Ultra light urethane foam injected inside the head engineered to push the design limits of face speed while simultaneously improving feel.
- Thru Slot Speed Pocket design engineered to maximize ballspeeds and provide forgiveness on shots lower on the face.
- Progressive Inverted Cone Technology strategically located in each iron designed to improve accuracy and protect off-center ball speed.
- Forged Hollow Body consists of a thin, wrap around forged 4140 face and soft carbon steel body designed to deliver explosive distance and forgiveness
- Ultra-thin internal leading edge with cut-thru Speed Pocket provides additional forgiveness on impacts low on the face
- Hollow body construction enables optimal weight placement for remarkable performance and stability
- Elegantly crafted design includes minimalistic cosmetic details and a clean, satin scratch finish
- True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 VSS Steel Shaft / Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grey/Black Grip
- Please Note Stock Shaft: True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Vss R300 & S300 Steel Shafts – In Stock & Ready To Ship
- Other Shaft Options Please allow up to – 7-10 Days Delivery